History of Teesside International Airport
- Over 150, 735 passengers a year
- 1 Terminal
- 200 destinations served
So how did it all begin?
Work on the airport runway and the airport buildings began in 1957, and this work was completed by 1963. However, the RAF decided to abandon use of the site for its squadrons and it was closed.
The local authorities took control of the site and plans for civil usage were formed in 1964 and the first flight took off, bound for Manchester. Significant redevelopments took place shortly afterwards; the construction of a passenger terminal and airport hotel being a priority. The new developments were officially opened in 1966.